Saturday, August 8, 2015

Deuteronomy 6:4-13, Psalm 18:2-4, 47, 51, Matthew 17:14-20


DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Deuteronomy 6:4-13, Psalm 18:2-4, 47, 51, Matthew 17:14-20

Deuteronomy 6:4-13


My Beloved, the sole purpose for the creation of mankind was to know God – the One and only God; Father, Son and Spirit. There is no other. Knowing God we are called to share in His nature which is love. The guiding principle of every thought, word and action must be love and only love. First the love of Him who created us in love and then love for each other who were created to experience God the God of love through our love for our neighbor. Those who love will receive every good thing, it will be given to them by the Lord without any effort or striving on their part for it delights the Father to provide all that His children need. In return God asks that we remember Him and His command to love. Love must be the rule of our life – agape love, filial love, a love that transcends anything false or base. A sacrificial love in imitation of Your life Beloved. You laid down Your life for the salvation of the world and we are called to do no less for our neighbor.

My Beloved if we are to be ever mindful of God’s goodness the we must constantly recall His blessings, in doing so we will develop a thankful and grateful heart and spirit. In difficult moments the goodness of the Lord will sustain us and the knowledge that He is always faithful will encourage us and give us strength to go on because He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Psalm 18:2-4, 47, 51


My Beloved, I praise You along with the psalmist and I exult in Your love for me. Because You love me I rejoice. God loves me this is reason enough to sing, shout and clap for joy. I know I am not worthy of such love as Yours my Beloved but You do not love me because I deserve to be loved You just love me and have claimed me for Your own. I love You, O Lord, You are my strength, You are my rock my fortress my deliverer and my God. You are the rock in whom I take refuge. You are my shield, my powerful Savior my stronghold. Each time I call on You who is worthy of all praise You hasten to my side and save me from all my enemies. I will praise You with every breath I breathe my Lord and my God. To You is given all dominion, authority and power for You have won the victory with Your right hand and Your holy arm. King of Kings and Lord of Lords I love adore and worship You. Thank You for loving Your poor little nothing.

Matthew 17:14-20


My Beloved, today we learn from a father how we can appeal to You, to God and obtain the favor we desire. You are a God of compassion and Your heart is moved to tender love when we are aware that there is no help in anyone but in You.

This poor father had a severely epileptic son who was in constant danger of death either by fire or by drowning. You came to meet the people all of whom surely had many petitions and needs to put before You but only one approached You in faith, threw himself on his knees and made his heartfelt prayer for his son whom he loved dearly. He had already approached the disciples to heal the boy but despite their best efforts they failed. Your response to the disciples lack of faith is stern and impatient. They ought to have understood by now how to carry on Your ministry. Then turning to the boy You commanded the evil spirit to leave him and the boy was instantly healed. Later the disciples wanted to know why their efforts had failed – Your answer was short – a distinct lack of faith in believing that what they were praying for would be granted. Genuine faith even as small as a mustard seed will gain astounding results. Faith can move mountains.

Do we pray with faith for those we know who are in grave danger of eternal death? Are we as concerned for them as this father for his son? If we were passionately concerned about the eternal destiny of those who may be lost forever we would pray with greater faith and our prayers would be heard every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment