Monday, October 5, 2015

Jonah 1:1-2:1-2, 11, Jonah 2:3-5, 8, Luke 10:25-37

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Jonah 1:1-2:1-2, 11, Jonah 2:3-5, 8, Luke 10:25-37

Jonah 1:1-2:1-2, 11

My Beloved in this tale of Jonah we see a reflection of ourselves. God has a purpose and a plan for our lives but more often than we believe that our own plans for ourselves is better. We would rather live selfish, self indulgent lives, lives that lack discipline desiring only to live for pleasure and to accumulate worldly possessions. We want to have a good time free of responsibilities and so we close our hearts and ears to the Holy Spirit and try to run away as far as we can but we can never outrun God as Jonah found out. You are not afraid to use whatever it takes to bring us to our senses for the salvation of our soul is of paramount importance to You. Our freedom was won at too great a price for You to give us up to the evil one without fighting for us. You love us too much to see us lost eternally.

Through all the turbulence in our lives You are present and You will not permit any harm to come to us nor will You destroy us. You give us time to repent of our sins and make provision for us every step of the way.  Thank You Lord.

Jonah 2:3-5, 8

My Beloved, how often in my own life in the midst of adversity I have cried out passionately to You night and day to come to my aid and save me. When my distress overwhelmed me and I could not see the light I reached out to You in prayer for prayer alone sustained me. Your Word gave me strength and courage. Your Word shed its light in my path and gave me hope. I felt that I was sent into exile and yet I was not alone for You were with me. You sustained me with the Eucharist. You comforted me with Your Word and encouraged me. There were time when I thought You had abandoned me but now I know that You were with me every step of the way. Thank You my Lord and my God.

Luke 10:25-37

My Beloved, in our own experience we often  see non Christians who are the good Samaritans while the Christians fastidiously cross the road to the other side and pretend they do not see the man who has been beaten up and has fallen by the wayside. While it is true that Christians and especially Catholic institutions do provide the greatest aid to those in need from every walk of like we need to look at own actions as individuals. How moved am I to get out of my comfort zone and get down on my knees in the dirt to wash another’s wounds, to comfort, to offer sympathy, to encourage?

It is not enough to know my faith, I must live out my faith every moment of every day that I am alive.  All that God has given me is not for myself alone but I am called to share His benevolence with those in need. We ought to look at people as God does – all are His children and therefore we are brothers and sisters to each other. We are called to be merciful just as our Father in Heaven is merciful.

No comments:

Post a Comment