Monday, March 23, 2015

Daniel 13:1-9, 15-17, 19-30, 33-62, Psalm 23:1-6, John 8:1-11

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Daniel 13:1-9, 15-17, 19-30, 33-62, 
Psalm 23:1-6, John 8:1-11

Daniel 13:1-9, 15-17, 19-30, 33-62

My Beloved, the story of Susanna, her accusers and Daniel are a reflection of how God deals with the innocent, punishes the guilty and gives wisdom to His anointed. 

The sins of the flesh are rampant and there are many victims who feel powerless when evil men and women abuse their authority. The cry of the helpless will always reach You and You will move to act on their behalf. Retribution will come sooner or later and unrepentant sinners will be severely punished for God who is always merciful is also just.

Psalm 23:1-6

My Beloved, I am Your sheep. I belong to Your fold and You are my Good Shepherd who cares for me. I have been given new life in the Sacrament of Baptism. Living waters pouring from Your side quench my thirst, cleanse my soul and refresh me in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. 

You have given me the Church to guide me so I will not stray from the path that leads to eternal life. Although the Devil roams the earth like a roaring lion seeking to devour souls, my own flesh is easy prey to temptation and the world's many distractions can lure me I need fear no evil for You walk with me. You have put angels in charge of me and You discipline and correct me You invite me to the Eucharistic Banquet through the Sacrament of Holy Communion. 

You anoint me in the Sacrament of Confirmation with the oil of anointing so I can be strong in the love of the Lord. Your goodness, mercy, strength, power and love are granted to me constantly and will take me from this life to the glorious life that awaits me when my earthly  journey ends.

John 8:1-11

My Beloved, in today's reading from the Book of Daniel we have the virtuous woman Susanna, the corrupt elders and the wise young man Daniel. In the Gospel reading we have an unnamed woman caught in the act of adultery and we have You who are wisdom incarnate, the Son of God who is called upon to administer justice. It was an open and shut case. There were witnesses and the law was clear - such a woman was to be stoned to death. 

The teachers of the law and the Pharisees were not so much concerned with justice but with setting a trap for You. If You condemned her to death they could say "ah ha, He is not as compassionate as He makes Himself to be." And if You acquitted her they could accuse You of not keeping the law of Moses. They figured that they had cleverly put You in a bind but as usual they underestimated their divine opponent. You bent down and the finger of God wrote in the dust. What You wrote remains a mystery then You stood up looked them in the eye and said, "Let anyone among you who has no sin be the first to throw a stone at her." You then resumed writing on the ground. Was it the 10 Commandments my Lord and perhaps each recognizing them and recalling their own sins beginning with the oldest went away quietly, beginning with the oldest? 

As always my Beloved it is God and the sinner for He alone is the righteous Jude. How consoled and relieved the poor woman would have been to hear the words, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you? Neither do I condemn you; go away and don't sin again."

No comments:

Post a Comment